PowerSouth Energy Cooperative, headquartered in Andalusia, Ala., is a generation and transmission (G&T) electric cooperative that serves the wholesale power needs of 20 distribution members — 16 electric cooperatives and four municipal electric systems — in Alabama and northwest Florida.
Alabama Rural Electric Association
AREA is a member owned federation of rural electric cooperatives providing a wide range of services statewide. The 23 rural electric cooperatives that make up AREA’s membership, including Clarke-Washington EMC, deliver power to more than 1 million people, or one-fourth of the state’s population.
National Rural Electric Association
NRECA is a national service organization representing more than 900 rural electric systems in 47 states. NRECA works to empower electric cooperatives and to help ensure their long-term success in a number of ways:
- Amplifying the voice of America’s electric cooperatives and their consumer-members in Washington, D.C.
- Working with elected officials to keep electricity safe, reliable and affordable.
- Helping the employees of electric cooperatives learn and grow professionally.
- Promoting the cooperative business model and the benefits of co-op membership.
- Researching and communicating with NRECA voting members regarding legal tax, environmental and other issues.
- Spearheading programs to strengthen co-ops and their communities, such as advocacy campaigns and workforce development initiatives.